There are two things that I like more than glitter and mason jars.
This craft combines the two and just makes me happy!
- Smooth glass jar with screw top lid (the best ones I have found are glass jars that Coconut Oil is sold in. You have to soak the labels off but they are the perfect size.)
- Painters Tape
- Mod Podge
- Sponge Applicator
- Glitter (I got mine at Michael’s, $3 for 8 oz glitter)
- Gold Spray Paint
- Acetone or Isopropyl Alcohol
- Contact Paper
- Candle Pouring Kit
1. Make sure your jar is clean on the outside. If needed, wipe with alcohol or acetone to really get it clean.
2. Using your painters tape, tape off the top 1 to 2 inches of the jar, keeping the line as straight as possible.
OPTION: If you want to create a window in your glitter, cut a shape out of the contact paper and stick it onto the jar. Depending on your jar size, a square 5×5 (using the grid lines on the contact paper) should be big enough for your shape. Since it’s close to Valentine’s Day, I chose a Heart!
OPTION: If you are creating a window with contact paper, spray the entire jar with 2 coats of gold spray paint. Let dry about 1 hour. You will see the gold through the window when all done.
3. Brush the entire surface with ModPodge and sprinkle glitter all over the ModPodge. Add more ModPodge as needed to be sure you cover all of the glass with the glitter. Let dry 1 hour. Remove painters’ tape.
OPTION: Carefully peel the contact paper shape off of your jar.
4. Measure off about 3 feet of twine and wrap around the neck of the jar a few times. Tie a bow and Voila!
5. Place your jar on your mantel and fill with flowers or use it to hold your keys on a bookshelves! Give as a gift by filling with candy, notes of affirmation or pouring a candle into it! Or use it on your desk for your favorite pens or take it along on a picnic to hold flatware.
The Possibilities are endless!
Until Next Time!